1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Haskell
  4. »Crops and Livestock
  5. »Pesticide Applicator Certification

Haskell County

Pesticide Applicator Certification

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires pesticide applicator certification for persons purchasing or using restricted-use pesticides (RUP). The regulation can be found under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) Part 171. This act provides the states with minimum and federal standards from which to create their own state specific regulations. In Kansas, pesticide applicators are required to be certified if they purchase or use a restricted use pesticide (RUP), unless they are under the supervision of a certified applicator. In order to be eligible for commercial certification, an individual must be eighteen years of age or older. Commercial certification is also required to start a pesticide business.

A certification and/or pocket card is issued to each person who satisfactorily completes the requirements for certification. It is important to be able to produce the certificate or pocket card when requested to do so by a customer, law enforcement official or the Secretary or a Kansas Department of Agriculture employee.